Sunday, November 23, 2008

Stanford Professor To Lead The Obama Immigration Team


This year I had the honor of meeting Mariano-Florentino Cuéllar, who despite the fact that he was President-elect Barack Obama's close immigration advisor, was probably one of the most humble men I've ever met in my entire life.

I am not surprised that he was just chosen this week as the man leading the Obama Immigration Team.

Despite his young 36 years of age, the man is full of all kinds of experience regarding the issue on immigration. The fact that he grew up right on the U.S.-Mexico border, in Calexico (Imperial County), Cuéllar brings in a different prospective on the always-controversial issue of immigration. According to the San Francisco Chronicle, the man is also on the short list to head the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration agency.

When I met Cuéllar at one of my classes, I mentioned to him the struggles of undocumented students at CSULB and other college campuses around the world. His humane look at the issue made me want to hug the guy and know that these students will be all right.

This is exactly what this new presidency is going to need. Not to sound ageist or anything, but out with the old and in with the new. For years, the face of the White House has been one that the rest of the country cannot relate to.

It's about time that we start to change this. We took a huge step forward when we picked Obama as our next president. But we must give him a chance for errors because the last president left a mess. This issue is going to require an in-depth clean up and it seems that by choosing Cuéllar as the man leading the pack, we might just be alright.

No comments: